Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My next brew: A 2-in-1 blonde

With a family, one often has to improvise when it comes to brewing. I just found out that I'll be home alone next weekend, so I'll have to squeeze in a brew. I also have some yeast to propagate for two big beers I have in the pipeline. Nothing too strong, nothing too complicated: I'll brew a Belgian blonde ale. Or two to be more precise, as I'll split the batch.

Here's the recipe I came up with:

James Blonde (50 l)
----------
OG 1054
IBU 24

Malt:
9 kg Pilsner malt
3 kg Wheat malt
1 kg Munich Malt

Hops:
250 g Belgian Saaz, 2% AA, 90 min

Mash:
40 min @ 63°C
20 min @ 72°C
5 min @ 78°C

Yeast: WLP 530 Abbey Ale

The second beer is based in James Blond and will be called Honey Rider. I'll use another yeast strain, Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes, and add 1 kg of honey to the fermentor. If all goes well, I'll have two nice beers and enough yeast for a quadrupel.

No comments:

Post a Comment